This material can be used to answer questions you might receive from your student. Use it as a starting point for your discussion. The material is written from the perspective of the student and the information may be duplicated in your area.
Colleges offer you the chance to increase your education, determine your future, and improve your life choices and opportunities. In addition, most colleges offer:
- . In college, you will be able to choose the classes that you take. You can choose classes that will interest and challenge you. In college, students are allowed to frequently participate in classroom discussions. You will also be able to choose what topics you write and read about more often.
- . While attending college, you will have the opportunity to meet and socialize with people from a variety of different backgrounds. Colleges also offer many social and cultural events in which you can participate, plus there are often many places where students hang out before, after, and between classes.
- . Colleges offer many recreational opportunities, including organized, extracurricular sporting events and clubs. Many colleges also feature recreational places on campus that provide such activities as bowling, basketball, pool, video games, and ping-pong, for example. Many colleges also maintain a recreational gym for students to use.
- . In college there are many student clubs and organizations that you can participate in. Colleges also have student government offices that you can run for such as Treasurer, President, or Secretary, to name a few.
- . In college, you will be able to explore different subjects of interests that can ultimately lead to a rewarding career. These interests are identified as majors in college, and focusing on a particular major(s) will help to prepare you for the career of your choice. Examples of some majors include art, psychology, biology, math, dance, journalism, political science, and engineering.
- . Colleges offer a wide variety of jobs that allow you to work while in school. You can choose to work on or off campus. Many of these jobs will help you to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to obtain and maintain jobs in your field of interest once you graduate from college.
- . Many colleges offer student housing both on and off campus. Housing facilities at colleges are typically called dormitories. Depending on the housing policies at the college you choose to attend, you may have the opportunity to choose the type of dorm you live in. You may be able to choose between living in a house, an apartment, or a room. You may also be able to choose the number of roommates you have.
- . Some colleges provide students with opportunities to study in other regions and countries. Some colleges have programs that allow you to live and study in a foreign country. Some colleges also offer programs that let you travel for a weekend or week to explore other interesting places.
- . Colleges have numerous clubs and associations that you can participate in. You can join an organization based on whatever interests you. Some examples of these organizations include: culture-specific clubs, fraternities, sororities, chess clubs, hip-hop clubs, engineering clubs, debate clubs, music clubs, and social awareness clubs, to name a few.
- . Many colleges have competitive sports teams that you can try out for. These teams compete against other colleges at sporting events. You can also attend sporting events sponsored by your college. Many of the organized sporting events offered in college also feature entertainment with live musicians and other performers.
- . Many colleges have financial aid departments that will work with you to find additional money to help pay for school-related expenses. Many colleges have their own scholarship programs and award additional money to students to help pay for college.
- . Many colleges feature a variety of counseling services that are designed to assist you in a variety of areas. In college, you can get counseling when choosing a major and/or career or when deciding on the classes you are taking, as well as for personal and/or health problems or concerns. Counseling staff is available to help you get through life and college successfully.
- . Colleges have many resources and services that can help you succeed in your classes. Colleges have tutoring programs that can give you extra assistance in subjects that you may be struggling in. Many colleges also have workshops and informational sessions that can help you gain additional skills and knowledge.